A Guide To Temperature-Controlled Storage
As well as temperature-controlled transportation solutions, we also provide storage options to help structure your logistics effectively. Our cold-storage facility based in Somerset offers the perfect solution for products that need to be kept at a specific temperature, either for a few hours or even overnight. In today’s guide, we’ll walk you through this process to help you better understand where it is a service that may benefit your business.
What Is a Temperature-Controlled Storage Facility?
Similar to the way that our custom-designed vehicles are able to provide a temperature-controlled space for your goods during transit, our storage facility does this in a static place. It provides a safe environment for items that are sensitive to temperature fluctuations, including pharmaceutical goods and fresh flowers. For businesses, this allows you to produce goods in the right quantities and have them available for shipping from a secure location.
At our facility here in Somerset, we are able to offer three different levels of temperature control:
Ambient temperatures are also known as room temperatures. These spaces are kept dry, clean and well-ventilated at around 15 – 25°C, depending on your needs.
Chilled temperatures, as the name suggests, are those that need to be refrigerated to keep them fresh. This includes a number of fresh food products. For this reason, these spaces are kept under 8°C.
Frozen temperatures, as the name suggests, are spaces kept at under 0°C room temperature. The exact requirements for these will depend on the product. Vaccinations, for example, need to be stored between -25°C to -15°C.
Cold-storage facilities have the equipment to maintain these temperatures for extended periods of time.
Temperature-Controlled or Climate-Controlled?
When deciding what solution to introduce into your logistics, you’ll likely come across both temperature and climate-controlled storage. What is the difference?
Temperature-controlled storage solutions are facilities that maintain specific temperatures for a set period of time. Climate-controlled storage solutions will manage temperature along with humidity too. At ICEOTemp, our facility is designed to be used as an interior stop-point throughout the journey of your goods. It provides a space for goods to be stored for several hours, between delivery drop-offs. Or, a spot to leave an item overnight, ensuring it arrives at the end destination at the specified time. If you’re looking to store items for longer, such as months or years, you may want to consider a climate-controlled solution. This will prevent long-term damage such as shrinking wood, warping on plastics or the growth of mould/bacteria.
How Does a Temperature-Controlled Storage Facility Improve Logistics?
The benefits of integrating a controlled environment into your storage needs are vast.
- More Technology – The storage options available to you on-site are unlikely to have the technology to properly maintain temperature and prevent spoilage. With the backing of state-of-the-art equipment, we can keep your goods in pristine condition at all times.
- More Space – As your business grows, you’ll need more space to store goods before they’re ready to be shipped. Our space can offer this in a safe and secure environment.
- Heightened Security – Custom-built cold-storage facilities have heightened security and surveillance to keep your goods safe at all times.
- Prevent Spoilages – Being able to maintain a consistent temperature at all times minimises the risk of spoilages to your goods during transit.
- No Risk of Pests or Corrosion – Our secure facility and specialist technology eliminates the risk of other damages occurring.
- Expertise – Our facility is run by an experienced and skilled team here at ICEOTemp. This means you have support to help ensure we store and manage your requirements exactly to keep products in pristine condition.
- Exceptional Hygiene – Because the products that we store are sensitive to fluctuations in their environment, we keep each storage facility exceptionally clean and organised. This contrasts with that of traditional facilities and ensures you have confidence in the end product/customer experience.
- Extended Storage Times – If you need to keep products for a longer period, temperature-controlled storage slows down the rate of depreciation. For goods such as food, this minimises the risk of food poisoning and the need to cook at regular intervals.
- Accurate Budgeting – Renting out storage space in a cold-storage facility allows you to get a clear view of the logistical costs when it comes to shipping temperature-sensitive goods.
Is it Business-Necessary?
Any good business recognises the need to manage requirements and budget to ensure a profitable year. If you’re working with temperature-sensitive items, the need to implement the right support during storage and transit is vital. However, cold-storage solutions aren’t essential and deciding whether to invest in the services of one should come down to personal requirements. Ask yourself questions like:
- Do I create goods per order or do I pre-prepared goods in bulk?
- Do I have the facilities in-house to store and keep my goods safe?
- Do I need my goods to travel far across the country?
- Would a cold-storage unit allow my business to grow at a faster rate?
If your business deals in any of the following items, cold storage can provide a host of benefits:
- Cosmetics, such as lipsticks and perfumes.
In all of these cases, being able to maintain and structure your storage options can help to improve the end user’s experience and the quality of your product too.
How Can Iceotemp Help You?
At Iceotemp, we have been supplying our customers with temperature-controlled distribution solutions since 2007. Over this time, we have expanded to include a fleet of 20 specialist temperature-controlled vehicles and our storage facility here in Somerset. Using state-of-the-art technology and our own experience, we support business owners in making sure they have the right environments to keep their goods fresh for longer. And, we’re passionate about tailoring the service to your exacting needs.
If you would like to speak to a member of our team about your business requirements or need more information about our storage facility, please do get in contact here today.